Monday 2 April 2012

Autism Awareness Day

Yesterday was Autism Awareness Day, and although I knew it was coming up, life got in the way (as it does) and I forgot. Until my 12 year old daughter came home and reminded me. She started by asking me if I knew it was Autism Awareness Day and what it meant? I said I did and asked her what she knew about it. She said that one of the boys in her class was autistic and that he was the bravest person she knows. When I asked her why, she said that he had bought blue cupcakes in to celebrate the day, spoke to the class about what Autism was and also answered questions. She said he talked about his family, his diagnosis and how it affected him. He told the class that the Opera House would be lit up in blue light as a show of support. My daughter was so impressed, and said to me, "mum, I could never have been so brave as to stand up and talk about my dyslexia". I hope that this young boys bravery and ability to stand up and be counted never disappears, and I hope it has inspired my daughter somewhat to continue to accept people for who they are. Autism Awareness Day is about raising awareness and increasing understanding, and what better place to start than our schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment